Producer :Saregama India, Yoodlee Films
Co-Writer | Director | Associate Producer : Devashish Makhija
Cast : Sushama Deshpande, Smita Tambe, Sharvani Suryavanshi, Abhishek Banerjee, Sadiya Siddiqui, Sudhir Pandey, Vikas Kumar, Manuj Sharma
A furious Granny battles her horribly failing health, debilitating poverty and the heartbreaking apathy around her, to hunt down, seduce and punish the brutal, powerful rapist of her little granddaughter.
- Best Film, New Blood Competition, Beune Crime Film Festival 2018.
- Best Actor, Special Jury Mention, Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles 2018.
- Best Actor, Flame Award, UK Asian Film Festival 2018.
- New Currents Competition, Busan International Film Festival 2017.
- International Competition, Black Nights Tallinn Film Festival 2017.
- Voices, Rotterdam International Film Festival 2018.
- Gothenberg International Film Festival 2018.
- Asian Vision, Singapore International Film Festival 2017.
- One of Indian Film Institute’s 10 best films of 2017.
- “Exceptional… brilliantly impossible to forget.”
~ Screen Daily
- “One of India’s strongest independents this year.”
~ Hollywood Reporter
- “One of the must-see Asian indies of the year.”
~ Screen Anarchy
- “Evocative performances and atmospherics that lift it beyond its genre thrills.”
~ Subhash K. Jha (Film Critic)
- “It took me a long time to get the film out of my head.”
~ Rajeev Masand (Film Critic)
- “Devashish is a master of atmosphere. He skilfully sets up a deep dread.”
~ Anupama Chopra (Film Companion)
- “Ajji eschews all emotional manipulation. In choosing to focus on the conditions behind vigilante justice, rather than advocating adopting it as the solution, Ajji might just be the genre’s most uncomfortable, realistic, and understated candidate.”
- “Poignant, empowering and heartbreaking all at once… perversely gratifying.”
~ Times Of India
- “Manages to keep one on the edge… Remarkable”
~ Mumbai Mirror
- “Cinema cannot get any more basic or honest than this.”
~ The Free Press Journal
- “A standout film.”
~ Deccan Chronicle
- “Ajji is not for the faint-hearted”
- “Unapologetic. Relentless in its endurance. Uncomfortable and urgent.“
- “The director manages to pack sufficient tension in the silences, a terrain that previously no director from Bollywood has handled so effectively.”
~ Vague Visages